Upcoming Course Schedules
Qualification to be Awarded
Bachelor of Arts in Accountancy
Heriot-Watt University, UK
- A Top 20 UK University (The Guardian University Guide 2013)
- Scottish University of the Year 2011-2012 (The Sunday Times)
Heriot-Watt University is the eighth oldest higher education institution in the UK, with its origins dating back to 1821. Located in Edinburgh, HWU has been consistently ranked as one of the top Universities in the UK. Well known for its pioneering work in business studies, engineering, and science as well as educating the industrialists, leaders, professionals and thinkers of the future. HWU is also one of the top UK universities for graduate employment, with 94% of graduates entering directly into work, further study or training.
About the Qualification
The BA in Accountancy degree offered by Heriot-Watt University provides a broad grounding in all key accountancy functions whilst also enabling students to broaden knowledge of other disciplines such as finance, marketing and management. Graduates with this degree will be equipped to excel in a wide variety of careers in commerce, industry and administration. For those considering a career in Accountancy there is the opportunity of exemptions from professional examinations.
Aims of the Qualification
The BA in Accountancy degree aims to provide a balance of education in accountancy and finance related topics with supporting subjects such as finance, statistics, marketing, law, and operations management available in the intermediate years. It maintains the traditionally established aim of providing sound base for those students looking to a career in the accountancy professional or the financial services industry.
The course aims to enable learners to:
- Develop knowledge, understanding and subject skills in areas of accountancy (and finance) for employment in a variety of careers in commerce, industry, education and public administration.
- Attain professional qualifications by maximising opportunities for exemptions awarded by professional accountancy bodies.
- Develop subject interests by allowing selection from a range of specialist courses.
- Gain a firm foundation, through the common structure in Stage 1, in key areas of accountancy and finance, economics and management to give flexibility of choice in selecting a course to suit their interests and career aspirations.
- Develop personal abilities and attitudes for employment in a variety of careers and prepare for lifelong learning and personal development.
Part-time: 36 months
Full-Time: 36 months
*Students with an Advanced Diploma in Business Management from Uptrend College will be granted direct admission to the Final Year of the Heriot-Watt Management program. Students who have prior studies from other institutions or work experience can also apply for admission, subject to approval. Relevant fees may apply.
The course will be delivered on a part-time basis in 91 lessons of 3 hours each and also on a full-time basis, Mondays - Fridays, 3 hours daily.
The course is wholly delivered in Singapore. Students will have access to local tutors and resources provided by Uptrend College. Resources and materials provided for students will include lecture notes and references for reading in books, professional journals, articles and websites.
Average Teacher to Student Ratio
Module Sets Combinations and Exemptions
1. Accounting (Exempted*)
(Introduction to Accounting 1 & Introduction to Accounting 2)
2. Economics (Exempted*)
(Introduction to Economics 1 & Introduction to Economics 2)
3. Finance (Exempted*)
(Introduction to Finance & Introduction to Banking & Financial Services)
4. Management (Exempted*)
(Introduction to Management 1 & Introduction to Management 2)
5. Quantitative Methods (Exempted*)
(Quantitative Methods 1 & Quantitative Methods 2)
6. Intermediate Accounting (Exempted*)
(Financial Accounting & Management Accounting)
7. Marketing (Core)
(Introduction to Marketing 1 & Introduction to Marketing 2)
8. Human Resource Management (Core)
(Organisational Behaviour & Human Resource Management)
9. Finance Theory & Markets (Elective)
(Finance Theory & Markets 1 and Finance Theory & Markets 2)
10. Operations Management (Elective)
(Operations Management 1 & Operations Management 2)
11. Auditing/ Contemporary issues in Financial Accounting (Elective)
(Auditing & Contemporary Issues in Financial Accounting)
12. Project Management (Elective)
13. Management Accounting Techniques and Decisions (Elective)
(Management Accounting Techniques and Decisions)
*Exemption will be granted for Advanced Diploma holders from Uptrend College. Students who have prior studies from other institutions or work experience may also apply for exemption, subject to approval from Dean of the school.
- Advanced Diploma in Business Management or other relevant Diplomas/ Advanced Diplomas
Students with an Advanced Diploma in Business Management from Uptrend College are eligible for exemptions from Stage 1 and Stage 2 of the Heriot-Watt Business Degree Courses. Students who have prior studies from other institutions or work experience are eligible for advanced standing. Applicants would need to complete the Application for Credit Transfer form. The Academic Board will assess the student's application and may grant the student with some exemptions from some of the modules. Supporting documents e.g. copies of transcript, letters from current or previous employer stating job details and curriculum vitae are to be submitted to our Administrator for processing. Result will be made known within 3 weeks. Relevant fees may also apply.
100% Examination Based
June / December
Examination Registration Period
- 1 Feb to 22 Feb for June Exams
- 1 Aug to 22 Aug for Dec Exams
Minimum 75% attendance is required for each subject to qualify for a Certificate of Attendance if requested and be eligible to sit for exam
Students matriculated after July 2009 require a minimum of Grade D in the designated mandatory modules as per the course structure of their degree (i.e. award requirements, as contained in the student handbook 2009/10). Students must have 60 credits from Stage 3 at Grade D, or above, AND must have a Grade D, or above in their mandatory modules
Last Updated: 30 May 2012